Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Bangalore (Bengaluru) at Last!

We arrived very early this morning after an epically long journey, to this very comfortable and friendly hotel. Dr.Chiranjiv Singh gave us a lecture on Indian culture and recent history, and I think I may be beginning to understand the Indian concept of dharma, and some of the background of the Indian talent for synthesizing ideas, philosophies and lifestyles. I also understood that there are many different kinds of scripts that accompany some of the dozens of languages. Finally I understood why Shiva and other gods have so many arms - its an idealized representation that symbolizes their attributes. I never knew tat there were Christians here before there were in northern Europe! The Indian Constitution is the longest in the world because it borrowed from the constitutions of many other countries - again that Indian knack for synthesis.

Maya Menon, of the Teacher Foundation, gave us a highly detailed and interesting overview of Indian education, its affirmative action, its challenges, and its increasing privatization. Tomorrow I will include a picture of Maya. One of the greatest challenges is simply the vast array of languages: how can education be inclusive of all when schools must teach in a particular language, which may or may not be spoken by the population it serves? English is increasingly popular as the choice for private schools, partly because it overrides this problem; however the federal mandate, as I understand it, is that schools should teach in the languages of individual states. This creates huge divides in the system. what we call public schools are called government schools here, and these serve populations which are less economically advantaged, although there is a mandate for private schools to accept at least 25% of its students from formerly low-caste (called scheduled castes) families. this does not mean however that all of the 25% are low income; the situation is very complex. One thing I would like to know is if they have teacher education in language learning.



Dr. Singh

Outside the Ente Keralam Restaurant

We had the most wonderful dinner at this charming restaurant that specializes in South East Indian food. The waiters (yes, plural!! We were attended by a bevy of them)  were exceptional.
I made my first gaffe when I asked one of the waiters to take our picture. He held the camera for a minute, then shook his head, smiling. Thinking he was confused, I showed him how to use it. Then I remembered that the headshake is an Indian sign of affirmation! (Duh....of course he knew how to use the camera...)

Broward teachers

 Consul General for South India McIntyre

Padma, also of the Teacher Foundation

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time! I am sure it will be an incredible experience. I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete