Thursday, July 4, 2013

Celebrating the 4th of July in Florida

The 4th of July is such a joyous holiday: in the middle of summer, when people are warmed (or in the case of Florida, perhaps overheated) by the sun. What better way to celebrate our country's independence than to watch the spectacular flight of fireworks?

For me, this year more than most, as I reflect on the people who have passed away in my family over the years, it is a celebration of life: their lives, and the lives of my brother and I, who have suddenly become the "older generation": all of the generation before us, from our immediate family, are gone. So yes, I want to celebrate my true coming of age, my true independence as one of the elders of my tribe! How fitting to do this, right before departing on an adventure that carries me across the world, to India! 

Happy Independence Day to all!





No comments:

Post a Comment